Sunday, August 4, 2013

Travellers' Shrines

Over the weekend I completed my last pieces of work for our upcoming exhibition by making a few Travellers' Shrines. There is still a lot of tidying, polishing and adding hangers to various exhibition pieces - but the body of work is done

Quite a long while ago I made a prototype of such a portable shrine but never got around to making any more. But given the theme of exhibition I was inspired to make a few more.  The ones I have made are in the style of much simpler box type Tibetan travellers 'shrines' such as those in the photo below.

©2013 Barry Smith - Fiona holds and unfolds the contents of one of B&R's collection of 'travellers' shrines'
My shrines are square (about 8cm square and 2.5cm deep). They have a brass lidless box that slides into the silved-plated EPNS lid; and the brass box is lined with felt. The lids have folds and rivets on the four corners. In the end I will only put two into the exhibition as the third shrine just did not come together well enough to be exhibited and sold.

©2013 Barry Smith - Silver-plated EPNS shrine lids - formerly plate coasters
©2013 Barry Smith - Travellers' Shrines - lids and boxes showing contents
As you can see from the photos above and below each of my Travellers's Shrine will include: a small hammered EPNS bowl (about 40mm in diameter); an incense holder made from a goblet stem; a small stamped EPNS Peace Leaf (about 70mm long); a small bundle of Japanese incense; and a yet to be added silk cloth.

©2013 Barry Smith - Travellers' Shrines - lids and boxes showing contents 
©2013 Barry Smith - Travellers' Shrine - set out with incense burning
I imagine that people who would buy such a Travellers' Shrine would add their own 'sacred' pieces including: written sayings; crystals; amulets etc.

©2013 Barry Smith - Traveller's Shrine incense burner in operation
These are meant to be personal pieces that have history and sacredness added to them over time.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely box shrines to make one's own, Barry. I like the way you have folded the corners. Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my goodness B! this is such a wonderful concept! i foresee these would be so very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What price? If I can afford it, can I buy one you put in the exhibition with a red sticker on and send later? I love the idea and certainly feel the need for a personal shrine at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J, R, L & P - thanks for your very positive feedback - always amazes me when such a simple creation can bring out the joy in us. R - I think the folded corners give the shrines a slight primitive handmade look. P - haven't got around to pricing them yet - will let you know as soon as I do. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful, Barry, and I think these will be very popular. I missed the original post and that, too, is wonderful! I love the way your imagination keeps you being so creative. Every post is a treat!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.